Website The Salvation Army Western USA
Job Title: Shelter Associate
FLSA Status: Full Time – non-exempt
Reports to: Shelter Programs Manager
Schedule: FT, TBD
Closing Date: 2/23/2024
Rate of Pay: $17.07/hour
Benefits: Standard; Full-Time, Non-Exempt employees are eligible for but not limited to the following:
- Health, vision, dental, life as well as voluntary life and disability insurance
- Sick leave benefit – 1 day per month, 12 sick days per year (accrual and availability begins at hire)
- Vacation benefit – 10 vacation days per year, accrued at the rate of .0385 hours for each hour worked, excluding overtime (accrual begins at hire but may not be used until the completion of six months of employment)
- One floating day off for use (accrued immediately, and again annually, but may not be used until the completion of the initial three-month introductory period of employment)
- Pension Plan (after one year of continuous service)
- Voluntary Tax-Deferred Annuity Plan (403(b)plan)
Scope of Position:
Under the supervision of the Director of RJ Montgomery Shelter provides administrative and operational support to the Director and general administration as assigned. Serves as the point person for most office matters. Ensures office systems are in place and most effective in the overall operations and functions of the department.
- Interact with and monitor clients’ behavior and maintain good rapport by providing excellent customer service.
- Encourage clients to comply with facility policy and procedures.
- Make frequent rounds throughout the entire facility including the perimeter of the building, all bunk areas, bathrooms, patio, and kitchen.
- Monitor clients and the facility via security cameras, through the windows, and during scheduled checks
- Complete logs, incident reports, and all other required documentation
- Respond appropriately to situations of child abuse and neglect.
- Make calls to the Police Department, Fire Department, Department of Human Services, or other first responders as directed.
- Observe and report irregularities regarding client behavior or building or security issues as necessary.
- Act as the liaison with police and other emergency services
- Employ crisis prevention and intervention if a conflict occurs.
- Maintain a strength-based and client-centered approach.
- Monitor clientele progress toward their goals
- Model appropriate social skills with clients throughout the shelter environment
- Provide encouragement and moral support to clients.
- Maintain proper personal and professional boundaries.
- Perform basic front desk duties including answering phones, data entry, filing documents, monitoring video surveillance cameras, and fire prevention/detection alarm notification system
- Distribute supplies, medications, and other belongings to clients.
- Have a humane and caring attitude toward all clients.
- Give high priority to the welfare of all the clientele.
- Always maintain a professional attitude and appearance.
- Assist in gathering and recording required information from all clientele.
- Understand all policies and procedures for the center and implement them in daily work.
- Accurate collection of vital statistics during intake and discharge of clients
- Maintain accurate attendance records of all clienteles.
- Maintain supplies necessary for front desk operations.
- Ability to be comfortable working with a diverse population.
- Ability to perform intake and exits of clients.
- Ability to inform a client he/she/them must leave based on his performance and assist in bagging up their personal belongings when necessary.
- Ability to enter intake information into two databases and assign beds.
- Ability to search clients and their belongings in a proper manner.
- Oversee or perform the daily operation of shelter tasks including cleaning, laundry, and setting up the kitchen for meals and serving the meals.
- Oversee the cleaning of the front desk area including the staff bathroom.
- When required, will perform drug/alcohol testing on clientele.
- Responsible for adhering to and implementing policies of the RJMC and those of The Salvation Army
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Experience working with people.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to read and write in the English language.
- Ability to use a fax machine, and multi-phone lines.
- Ability to file, do data entry, and have basic clerical skills.
- Ability to de-escalate a potential crisis.
- Ability to handle high levels of stress effectively in a busy environment.
- Ability to multitask and possess strong interpersonal skills.
- Must maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to conduct effective pat-downs of clients.
- Must be articulate, even-tempered, and have keen observation skills.
- Ability to interact effectively and tactfully with staff and clients.
- Microsoft Suite, Clarity/HMIS, Wellsky, and Adsystech required.
- Working knowledge of integrated database applications
- The ability to use new software programs with basic training.
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist on an intermittent or continuous basis.
- Ability to grasp, push, pull, and reach overhead.
- Ability to operate a telephone.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to access and produce information from a computer.
- Ability to understand written information and implement it as needed.
- Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
Acknowledgment of Religious Purposes of The Salvation Army
The employee acknowledges that he/she has been informed and understands The Salvation Army’s religious purpose and status as a church. The employee agrees that he/she shall do nothing to his/her/their relationship with The Salvation Army as an employee to undermine its religious mission. The employee agrees and understands that his/her services are a necessary part of The Salvation Army’s religious purposes, and his/her work-related conduct must not conflict with, interfere with or undermine such religious programs or The Salvation Army’s religious purposes.
The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army (TSA), an international movement, is an evangelical part of the Universal Christian Church. TSA’s message is based on the bible. The ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ and meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
This position should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this position. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this position statement.
High School or Equivalent or better.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com