University of Colorado
Food Service Worker I – 32442
Envision yourself in a collaborative, inclusive, and innovative work environment that has a deep commitment to position our graduates for success in their professional and personal lives. Visualize applying your energy and skills for an organization that respects and cares about its employees enough to offer some of the best benefits of the industry while encouraging every team member to grow, collaborate, and provide input on how to consistently make the workplace a place people love to work. Imagine working at a college that welcomes everyone — students, faculty, staff, and community members — regardless of their backgrounds, beliefs, or traditions. If what was just described is what you look for in a workplace, welcome to the University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS)!
UCCS Dining and Hospitality Services is seeking applications for Food Service Worker I positions. Under the general supervision of the Residential Manager or Catering manager present foods and/or beverages for service through own efforts and/or through the coordination of assigned food service worker and/or student staff for cash, retail dining or special events. May work independently. Maintains food preparation and safety standards and complies with health code.
The vision of UCCS Dining and Hospitality is to be a recognized leader in service delivery and food sustainability to cultivate and nurture a healthy campus culture where access to wholesome, seasonal, and local food directly links to wellness, sense of place, and environmental protection. Aligning UCCS Dining and Hospitality with campus sustainability efforts allows for the integration of academic programs and community action, thereby providing students invaluable experiential learning opportunities. This includes preparing and serving healthy, flavorful, sustainable, and nutritious food produced through fiscally responsible and mindful practices that nourish and support our community.
Who We Are:
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 9,000 undergraduate and 1,800 graduate students. We have a strong focus in fueling student success by creating, using, and maintaining a multitude of different offices and programs. Overall, UCCS is constantly focused of preparing our students to have success in the future, and we understand that every single employee on our campus has a significant effect on that focus. Find more information about working at UCCS here: https://hr.uccs.edu/work-at-uccs.
The city, which was recently ranked as the number nine Best Places to Live by U.S. News & World Report in 2023, known as Olympic City USA, rests at the base of Pikes Peak, the inspiration for the song “America the Beautiful” and a must-see for residents and visitors alike. With a mild climate and 247 days of sunshine each year, the Springs boasts some of the state’s best recreation opportunities. Find out more about living in Colorado Springs through the Visit Colorado Springs page: https://www.visitcos.com/.
- Performs posted opening or closing duties at resident dining halls as assigned.
- Coordinates customer orders for preparation, service and/or delivery in a timely fashion. Operates and maintains the following equipment: choppers, food washing equipment, slicers, mixers, ovens, steam jacket kettles, pressure steamers, coffee machines and various hand tools.
- Maintains the proper storage of food items in designated storage areas.
- Maintain dish room organization, dish cleaning equipment and sanitation records/logs. Report asy issues to manager.
- Ensures that sanitary and HACCP procedures are maintained in assigned areas. Maintain health code compliance including, but not limited to, temperature, safe food handling procedures and proper sanitary procedures.
- Provides visual security to prevent theft. Reports all theft to the manager on duty immediately.
- Sets up all service areas including, but not limited to, beverage (including specialty coffee mixers), salad bar/counter, deli, pizza, entry/exit ways, takeout, bakery, short order, specialty bars and/or dessert areas with equipment and supplies.
- Position may be assigned as “Essential Services Designation” – meaning required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to comprehend, carry out and explain complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift up to 60 pounds when storing, stocking and gathering prepared products and/or inventory items.
- Ability to stand and walk on hard floors for extended hours.
- Requires the safe and efficient use of food service equipment such as ovens, grills, food choppers and processors, steamers, slicers, etc., as well as understanding the proper way to clean food service equipment.
Work Location: On-Site
This position has been determined to be eligible for overtime (non-exempt) under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
What We Offer:
Salary Range: Generally starting at $15.75 – $16.50 an hour.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs offers excellent benefits, some of which include:
- Medical insurance, with the lowest cost option being $0 to the employee
- Dental, Vision, Life and Disability insurance
- Generous paid vacation and sick time accruals (14.67 hours of vacation and 10 hours of sick accrued per month, prorated if part-time)
- Mandatory retirement plans. Employees contribute 5% of their annual compensation. CU doubles that and contributes 10%
- Tuition Assistant Benefit available to you or a dependent
- Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of employment
- Off Campus Housing Resources
This position is dependent on the availability of auxiliary revenues funding.
Tentative Search Timeline:
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by February 1st, 2024. However, this posting will remain open until filled.
- The potential dates for interviews with the search committee, supervisor, and appointing authority will be the week of February 1st, 2024.
- The potential employee start date is February 12th, 2024.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
UCCS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting the Office of Human Resources at (719) 255-3372.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
Please note that while the position details both required qualifications as well as preferred qualifications below, we want applicants to be aware that they do not need to have all of the desired skills and experience to be considered for this position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, have passion for the work, along with experience in a related field, you are encouraged to apply. We encourage on-the-job training for any additional skills or knowledge that become relevant to the position.
- This is an entry level food service position.
- Have completed or successfully completed ServSafe certification within 90 days of hire.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to move. Employees are required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and have fine motor skills including reaching, handling, and fingering. Must have good depth perception, color vision and field of vision. Tasting and smelling within normal range. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 20 lbs and constantly lift and/or move up to 10 lbs. In this position employees will have exposure to extreme cold and extreme heat.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the established essential functions and meet the physical and environment demands described satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, physical and environmental conditions required of the employee on the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, physical and environmental demands.Applicants with disabilities: If you have a mental or physical impairment, which limits one of your major life activities (e.g. walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning) and require special accommodations for testing or interviewing, it is your responsibility to notify the office scheduling the interview or test at least 3 working days before the interview or test date. If you need special accommodations at the work site, you must notify the appointing authority or Human Resources.
Special Instructions to Applicants: • Applications submitted by 2/1/2024 will receive full consideration. However, this position is open until filled. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at cu.edu/cu-careers (job #: 32442). • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or email@example.com. Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact. The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position. Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV Application Materials Instructions: Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter and be sure your resume includes any and all relevant experience to be accurately assessed against the qualifications listed in the posting. To apply, please submit the following application materials to this posting. 1. A current resume. Must include date ranges to include month and year (mm/yyyy) and whether the position was full time or part time. 2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. When submitting the materials, check the Job Specific Attachments box next to each document in order for the search committee members to see your materials.
: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 — Colorado Springs Campus – 40253 – VCSA-AUX-DINING & HOSPITALITY
: Jan 25, 2024
Posting Contact Name: Joshua Hedrick
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00799090
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com